If you have a canine friend that’s very close to you. They need high protein dog foods that keep them active and energize all day. You need to take care because Dogs are the only animals who is a furry tail-wagging friend to you and your family. These animals called dogs are called a man’s best friend. Dogs are very loving creatures and naturally, a lot of care goes if you’re keeping one. There are multiple reasons why humans have formed relationships with this kind and yet, a very protective animal.
Why your canine friend need the best high protein dog food?
From the very beginning, humans have befriended wolves who are the ancestors of dogs. From hunting partners and watch guards to amazing companions, dogs are the most preferred pets amongst humans. The natural ancestors of dogs are scavengers and thrive on proteins and fats, unlike humans who survive on carbohydrates. The same body nourishment habits have carried down from wolves to dogs.
This difference in basic body nourishment requirements makes it important that we consider the fact that dogs need different food than us, humans. If you have a dog no matter the relationship between you two, you need to consider what type of diet you are giving to your dog. A proper high protein meal for a dog can make the dog’s hair soft and shinning, skin healthy, develop muscles, and repair tissues amongst others.
What makes for the best high protein food for dogs?
Dogs are very easy to feed in most of the cases even though they are natural omnivores. It has been mistaken over time that dogs are carnivores but a closer look at their anatomy, nourishment requirements, feeding preferences, etc, it has been confirmed that dogs are not carnivores but omnivores. They need good care, diet, and training and love.
To set some standards based on proper studies, some organizations have been researched thoroughly. With the help of this research and supporting studies, these organizations like AAFCO, FDA, etc have defined some minimum standards for these dog food manufacturers. While different authorities have different set standards for what makes for best dog food, it is worth noticing that all these agencies mandate a high protein content in any packaged dog food.
While picking the best high protein dog food, you must have a look at the nutrition value printed on the packaging. The AAFCO mandates that best high protein dog food should contain at least 22.5% protein for reproduction active female dogs and puppies, and at least 18% protein for an adult dog. This nutrition value is published on the labels. Best dog food should contain at least 30% proteins and less than 43% carbohydrates for it to be called optimum for a dog.
It is worth noting that most packaged dog food mentions proteins in the terms of ‘as fed’ but these are not the correct measure to denote the amount of protein. As fed ignores the moisture present in the feed. To find out the actual amount of protein in dog food, you can use this formula.
As fed Protein% / (100% – moisture%) = Dry Matter Basis Protein%
What is the best form of protein for a dog?
Different variants of proteins can be used to prepare a meal for a dog. The variety is huge and naturally, some proteins are better than the others. Most of the proteins in a dog’s diet should come from whole meat like chicken, salmon, or beef. These are the primary source of proteins and are mentioned at the beginning of the nutrient list.
You must look for animal-based proteins most of the time. Animal protein-based dog food is made of chicken, liver, eggs, or beef products. While the thought of these nutrients in your meal feels very unappetizing, these are important and more importantly taste good to your canines.
Also, packages mentioning the specific source of proteins like chicken protein or beef protein constitute for best high protein dog food over generic sources like poultry protein or farm protein which can have different unsuitable ingredients.
Certain plant-based proteins like peas of alfalfa are completely safe but most of the protein passes through your dog directly and doesn’t provide for the required nourishment. Most of this plant protein-based food flaunt a very high protein content. This is true by the composition, but they do not do much good. This is the reason why animal proteins are preferred for canines over plant proteins.
Tips for picking the best high proteins food for dogs
Well, no amount of extra care is enough for your dog. They simply deserve the best even if it comes at a little extra cost. While proteins are a significant nutrient that needs to be kept in mind, there are some other things also to be noticed. Just so that you do not miss on those other things, here is a brief for those other ingredients.
– Omega-3 fatty acids -Having various benefits, these typically animal-based acids help in reducing joint inflammation, promote proper brain development in puppies, and provides a shiny coat to your dog.
– Probiotics – Not only do probiotics help in proper digestion and discharging habits, but they also help in the smooth transitioning of your puppy to an adult. Isn’t it surprising how fast these little creatures can grow?
– Organic – While going complete organic is difficult while getting the best dog food, we can make sure that our dogs do not intake artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. These artificial agents are nothing but harmful for any living creature, be it a human or a dog.
– Origin – There are some countries like the USA, Canada, and Australia which have stricter food standards for pets. If you don’t mind spending a little extra, try to source your food from one of these countries for a healthier and generally better life of your canine friend.
10 Best High Protein Dog Food in 2020:
All of this said it is time to know about the best High Protein dog food available in the market. Every different dog food company has different nutritional values on their products. The sheer number of products available in the market can surprise you making your task of finding the best dog food almost impossible. Trying to help you out a bit, we have designed a list of top 10 best dog food.
1. Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Dog Food:
Aiming at providing long and vibrant lives to your dogs, Nature’s recipe makes sure that your dog gets nothing but the best. This is made with high-quality chicken, this product is available in different versions for different aged dogs. They make sure that only the best ingredients are used in preparing their products and have very high market credibility. Here are some key features of Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Dog Food.
- Made with real chicken
- Added vitamins, minerals and nutrients for a complete diet
- No added by-products, poultry products or artificial substances
- Sweet potatoes and pumpkin making a grain-free and easy to digest dog food.
- Has gain content
- Not recommended for sensitive stomachs
2. Diamond Naturals Real Meat:
Made with the highest quality ingredients, Diamond naturals real meat helps your dog remain active and improves its immune system. It is a holistic meal made of carefully determined levels of proteins, fat, and other important nutrients. Here are the key features of these products which make it one of the best dog food in the market.
- Enhanced with K9 strain probiotics contains powerful antioxidants from superfoods like oranges, spinach, carrot, and blueberries
- Special DHA (a type of omega-3 fatty acid) content
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin content to support cartilage and joint support for your adult dogs
- Helps in hair fall control
- Not fit for low gluten tolerance as this is not grain-free
3. Purina Pro Plan SAVOR Shredded Blend with Probiotics Adult Dry Dog Food:
Made through real beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, or salmon, this dog food is made with a carefully designed formula to support easy digestion and optimum nutrient absorption so that your dog gets the nutrients and care that he deserves. This food is high on flavor made with real ingredients that are liked by all the dogs.
- Contains natural prebiotic fiber
- A shredded blend of ingredients including meaty and juicy pieces
- Made from real high-quality poultry or salmon
- Contains 26% crude protein
- Includes a proper blend of other important nutrients
- High plant protein
- Some brand recalls
4. IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Minichunks Dry Dog Food, Chicken:
Not only providing your dog with all the required nutrients, but this animal food also reduces bad breath and reduces plaque. IAMS food is easily digestible and provides your dog with stronger immunity.
- L Carnitine helps in maintaining a healthy metabolism
- Fiber and prebiotic for healthy digestion
- High level of proteins for stronger muscles
- Farm bread real chicken as the primary ingredient
- One high protein and grain-free recipe
- Has by-products
- Low meat content
- No organic option
- Only fit for small breeds
5. CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food, Salmon
Providing animal protein-based holistic food for dogs, this company understands the need for these successors of Wolves. Made with high-quality original animal protein, this food has a natural meaty flavor that every dog lover. One of the best dog food in the market, this company’s products make your dog lean, make its body healthy, and gives it the energy to chase.
- 34% protein which is way more than average products
- Includes a healthy blend of all the required nutrients including vitamins, minerals, etc
- Primary protein is meat which makes it very healthy for the dog
- Made with real salmon
- Plant-based proteins
- A bit difficult on the pocket
6. PEDIGREE Adult Complete Nutrition Roasted Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Flavor Dry Dog Food 30 Pounds
A complete nutritional diet for your adult dog made by one the biggest animal care company, Pedigree is a name which means high quality and standards. Providing complete nutrition through roasted chicken, rice, and vegetables, Pedigree aims towards providing your dog with a long and healthy life.
- Made in the USA with the World’s Finest Ingredients
- 100% Complete & Balanced for Life Stage
- No Artificial Flavors
- No Added Sugar
- Variety of different flavors
- Optima level of Omega-6 fatty acid for healthy skin and shiny coat
- Contains and whole grain and optimum fiber for better digestion
- Too much grain
7. CANIDAE All Life Stages, Premium Dry Dog Food with Whole Grains
Made for all types and age dogs, this is a complete diet with all the goodness included. Made with protein-rich ingredients like Chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish, they are paired with whole foods like a potato.
Here are some of the features of a Canidae meal:
- The optimal level of protein
- No fillers or low nutritional value food
- Added probiotics support healthy digestion and antioxidants
- Includes Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids for skin and coat.
- Available in multiple types
- Highly suitable for adults
- Not grain-free
8. Pedigree High Protein Adult Dry & Wet Canned Dog Food
Flaunting the food preparation with real red meat and 25% more proteins than average nutrition, Pedigree provides for a 100% complete and balanced meal for your dog. It takes care of everything from immunity, digestion to skin and coat with the inclusion of everything important. Here is a list of key features which makes it best high proteins dog food –
- No added sugar
- No artificial flavor
- No High Fructose Corn Syrup
- 100% Complete & Balanced for Life Stage
- Available in multiple flavors
- One of the main ingredients is corn
9. Purina Moist & Meaty Steak Flavor Adult Dry Dog Food
Delicious and nutritious, Purina provides for a complete meal. This is one of the best dog food available in the market. Purina’s food is made from real meat and makes for a tender and juicy piece which every dog lover. They aim at providing a holistic meal for your dog so that they enjoy a better and happier life.
Here are some of the key features of Purina Adult Dry Dog Food –
- Made from moist and tender meat
- Special packing which keeps the food fresh
- Contains all the essential amount of nutrients providing for a balanced diet
- Available in different tastes and recipes to provide an interesting range of food for your dog
- High quantity of fructose corn syrup
- The high number of calories
10. Lucy Pet Formulas for Life – Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food, All Breeds & Life Stages – Salmon, Pumpkin, & Quinoa:
Dry Dog Food for all Breeds & Life Stages – Salmon, Pumpkin, & Quinoa – One of the best high protein food for the dog, Lucy Pet Formulas for Life are special products that support the holistic c growth of your canine friend. Made with high-quality ingredients gathered from different parts of the USA, this is an optimum meal fit for any dog.
Here are the key features of this best High Protein dog food.
- Omega-3 fatty acids from natural ingredients including flaxseed, salmon oil and Vitamin E
- Includes taurine and L-carnitine to support a healthier heart
- Balanced amino acids for muscles
- Prebiotic fiber in the balanced quantity for better digestive health.
- Not fit for sensitive stomachs
Every dog deserves a little extra care:
Every canine out there deserves a little extra care. These are the best High Protein Dog Food which can refill the energy of your dogs. While we have the best intentions, I mind when we try to deed them human food, it becomes counter-productive simply because human food is not fit dogs. So, be informed and feed your dog what is best for him.