Can Dogs Eat Watermelon? The simple answer is “Yes” but you should know the things before feeding watermelon to the dogs. As you know fruit is a great source of energy and good for a dog’s health. It keeps your dogs active and refreshes all day because it has 92 percent of water and plenty of vitamins and nutrients.
Watermelon is the favorite fruit that is mostly consumed by humans as well as dogs.
The best thing about watermelon, it is loaded with healthy nutrients. The nutrient content in this food is beneficial for humans, especially beneficial on a hot day.
But is this fleshy pink fruit of a watermelon is safe for dogs?
The answer is yes, and Watermelon can be a healthy dog treats if it is rightly fed to them.
If you fed the watermelon to dogs in the wrong way, it may be harmful and could also cause serious health problems. Some of the delicious food parts are harmful, like the seeds present in the fruit. The watermelon seed is bad for dogs as the consumption of the watermelon seeds could result in serious health problems.
If you are willing to serve your dog with the watermelon fruit, then it is important to safely serve, so they don’t get sick. You may also get the recommendation from your vet before sharing any type of human foods, including watermelon and other fruits. Some of the beneficial things that you must know about the watermelon, it is rich in potassium and vitamin C. Watermelon is also a great source of vitamins A and B6, especially for dogs treat. It is a healthier choice than many store-bought treats.
What are the benefits of Watermelon?
- Watermelon is high in natural sugar, so it does not cause unhealthy spikes in blood sugar levels. Hence it is also beneficial for dogs.
- The fiber content of the watermelon helps dogs in absorbing the sugar slowly into their bloodstream.
- The fiber content in this fruit is also helpful in the healthy digestion of dogs.
- Vitamin B6 content in watermelon could give your dog’s body to form amino acids that support healthy coats and reduce tooth decay.
- Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin used by your dog to support bone growth, reproduction, and vision.
- It does not contain sodium, fat, or cholesterol, so you do not have to worry about it.
- The best thing about this popular and beneficial fruit is that it contains 92% water, which makes it both a sweet treat and a creative way to help your dog stay cool and hydrated during the summer.
- Watermelon has Vitamins which is good for eye, cell, and immune health.
- Lycopene that contains in the watermelon acts as an antioxidant, fighting free radicals in both the human and dog system. The antioxidants in watermelon have also been linked to a decrease in inflammation.
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon: There are many more health benefits of this fruit other than the points mentioned above. Due to such effective health benefits, Watermelon has high fiber nutritious treat which is good for Dog’s digestion. Watermelon is low in calories, low in sodium, fat-free, and cholesterol-free, and can be a good source of hydration and an especially refreshing treat on a hot day.
How much Watermelon Safe for Dogs fed?
If you are willing to give your dog a safe and nutritious treat, then the fresh fruit watermelon could be the best choice and healthy too. But you must always feet the flesh part of the watermelon to your dog as the other parts of the fruit aren’t all right for your pooch to eat. Because if dogs have to swallow watermelon seeds by mistake, then the seeds may cause an intestinal blockage. The intestinal blockage is not only painful for your dog, but it could also become serious enough, and then only surgery could be a solution.
Things to avoid while feeding watermelon to dogs:
Some of the essential things that must be avoided while feeding watermelon to the dog are the seeds and rinds that effectively affect the dogs’ digestive system. Eating too many watermelon seeds could create a blockage, so consider removing them while feeding watermelon to your dog. Do not make your dog overeat the watermelon and consider giving them the watermelon quantity taking account of their size.
Some of the health problem dogs faced due to consumption of watermelon seeds and skin:
- The black seeds from watermelons can cause intestinal obstructions in small dogs if swallowed, so they need to be removed first
- The seeds may also cause a blockage in small dogs.
- The dogs must not eat the green skin, because they are unable to digest it.
- The hard green outer skin of watermelon is not the right choice as ingesting it can cause gastrointestinal distress that triggers vomiting or diarrhea problems
- Due to the high fiber content eating too much of it could also give your dog an upset tummy
- Dogs who eat too much watermelon will probably get a tummy ache and many other stomach problem
While feeding their dog’s watermelon, the dog owners should take precautions, as the seeds and the skin of the watermelon is not good for dog consumption. But sometimes seeds tend to be less of a problem for big dogs, whose larger intestines allow the seeds to pass through more easily. Still, the risk can be eliminated for all dogs by buying seedless watermelon, making for an easy alternative to removing the seeds by hand.
How to Feed Your Dog Watermelon?
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon: You must be wondering how you should feed your dog Watermelon. Here you could find some of the awesome tips that you could follow to feed your dog Watermelon. The main thing that you must consider while feeding watermelon to your dog is that you must only give your dog seedless watermelon or pieces of the watermelon where the seeds are not available.
The first thing you must do before feeding watermelon to your dog is that you must scoop out the fruit or cut it into small bites, being careful to remove any part of the rind. A healthy protein treat to a dog is the best way that could make it easier for you to raise your dog in a healthy way.
You must know that watermelon or any other human food may lead to many skin problems for your dog. Hence you must consider getting assistance from your veterinarian or nutritionist about how much you should feed your dog.
There are different types of dogs, and each dog has had different dietary needs, and some have medical conditions that might make watermelon a bad choice. The simplest way to prepare watermelon for dogs and makes for a nice, easy treat is to cut the watermelon into small, chewable cubes. But make sure that you have you remove any seeds or rind from the watermelon before giving it to your dog.
Some of the effective tips for feeding watermelon to your dog:
- Serve your dog with the frozen watermelon to make an extra refreshing summer treat, but make sure your dog’s teeth are healthy enough to chew frozen food without being damaged. It is the favorite way to feed our dogs a refreshing summer snack.
- You can mix watermelon with other safe and healthy ingredients like blueberries to make a fruit salad or smoothie for your dog. It could be a healthy and refreshing treat for your dog.
- Watermelon can be frozen in ice cube trays for a cool treat or combined with a few simple ingredients. It is the most dog-friendly watermelon sorbet that your dog would love to eat.
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon: It is recommended that you must not treat your dog with any artificially flavored watermelon as it contained artificial sweeteners that could harm your dog. It would be best if you only give your dog the treat of real watermelon. If you have a dog, then you must take proper care of the dog, especially in the case of their food and diet. Any kind of threat to the dog should make up no more than ten percent of your dog’s daily calorie intake.
Hence while you are feeding your dog the watermelon, you must follow this rule when determining how much watermelon you should feed the dog. Consider that one cup of diced watermelon contains 45.6 calories, so feed accordingly. Watermelon is a healthy treat, but it will be best if you confirm from your veterinarian to make sure that it won’t negatively affect your dog’s unique digestive system.
How Is Watermelon Good for Dogs?
Watermelon should not make up a large part of a dog’s diet, along with some diarrhea or other signs of gastrointestinal upset.
Some dogs get an upset stomach when they try a new food that they aren’t used to. It is best to give your dog watermelon in moderation, especially if they haven’t eaten it before and how they react.
You can ask your veterinarian or nutritionist about the appropriate amount for your individual dog.
Sweet products that contain watermelon or anything that is artificially watermelon flavored are probably not a good idea for dogs. They are usually full of sugar, chemicals, or other substances that can make your dog sick.
Too much sugar can lead to a gastrointestinal upset in the short term and diabetes or obesity in the long term. Artificial sweeteners such as xylitol can even be toxic to dogs, so stick to plain watermelon that you prepare yourself. That way, you know what’s in it.
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon or Is watermelon good for dogs or not?
Yes, it safe if the seeds and the rind are removed before serving watermelon to the dogs.